Mobile Top Button Desktop Top Button

The Meaning of The May Birthstone

May’s birthstone is emerald. Known for its beauty, this green gemstone has been revered since Cleopatra reigned in Egypt, the Incas conquered the Andes Mountains, and emperors ruled India. The lustrous green color of May’s birthstone is a symbol of wealth and abundance, love and passion, and success and wisdom.

Read on to learn more about the meaning of May’s birthstone, the value of emeralds, emerald cleaning tips, frequently asked questions, and more.

May Birthstone History & Symbolism

The dazzling color of an emerald evokes images of prosperity and growth. The meaning of May’s birthstone has positive connotations throughout various cultures making this gemstone revered across the world. The emerald is a symbol of unconditional love. Hinduism associates the color green with the heart chakra, making the emerald a symbol of the heart and universal love. Love symbology is mirrored in Roman mythology, where the emerald is linked with the goddess Venus, the goddess of love.

In the Middle Ages, the meaning behind the emerald birthstone was a symbol of fertility and good fortune. In the past, emeralds aided physical conditions like eliminating impatience from the body, restoring exhausted travelers, and resisting the devil. Many crowns and royal jewelry are adorned with these precious deep emerald green gemstones.

Today, emeralds are renowned around the world for their beauty. Emeralds are said to be a powerful stone for manifestation and patience. Those born in the month of May wear emerald birthstone rings, necklaces, and broaches to feel an affinity with the positive properties of this stone.

Where is the May birthstone found?

In places where beryllium, chromium, and vanadium intermingle, you are likely to find an emerald mine. The most well-known emeralds come from South America.

Colombian emeralds are some of the finest emerald specimens in the world. Emeralds from Colombia have a low iron content giving them a green color with a slight blue hue. Colombian emeralds typically have few impurities or inclusions, a quality rarely found in emeralds.

Emerald mines can be found in:

Emeralds are also synthetically made. Lab-grown emeralds are another wonderful choice as they have a lower carbon footprint than gems extracted by the mining industry.

Technology for synthetic emeralds is advancing every year. Today, lab-created Colombian emeralds are available for sale around the world. When purchasing a synthetic emerald, keep in mind that lab-created Colombian emeralds are not technically Colombian emeralds but called so as a measure of quality.

The Value of the May Birthstone

Emeralds are precious gemstones valued for their rich green color and clarity. Emeralds are made from a rare combination of chemicals. As emeralds form, the chemical components determine how richly green the color will appear, influencing their aesthetic appeal. The May birthstone is a combination of the mineral beryl and the chemicals chromium or vanadium that add the classic emerald green color. If a beryl stone does not have ample amounts of chromium or vanadium, the stone is classified as light-green beryl rather than an emerald.

Earlier, we mentioned Colombian emeralds as some of the best emerald specimens due to their low iron content. Colombian emeralds, and the most valuable emerald specimens, have a slightly bluish hue to them. Of course, gem coloring in your jewelry is a matter of preference. Zambia produces emeralds with beautiful clarity. Zambia emeralds are deep green with less of a blue hue than Colombian emeralds.

Emeralds are Type 3 gemstones. This term means that emeralds typically have inclusions because of their formation process. Inclusions are small cracks within the gem that give an emerald character. An emerald with fewer inclusions will be priced higher than emeralds with more visible inclusions. It is nearly impossible to find a natural emerald with no inclusions at all.

Emeralds are often treated with cedar oil or a resin filling to improve durability and the overall luster of the gemstone.

May Birthstone Cleaning and Care Tips

The emerald stone has a hardness of 7.5 to 8.0 on the Mohs hardness scale. For reference, a diamond has a hardness of 10 while chalk has a hardness of 3. The emerald stone is durable and scratch-resistant. However, since emeralds have inclusions, they are vulnerable to damages from prolonged and daily wear.

Daily wear of an emerald will cause it to lose some of its shine and may deteriorate the edges of the facets. The best way to clean emeralds is to use a mixture of warm water and soap. Emeralds can go in the water, but be mindful not to let them soak for longer than necessary. Dry your emerald jewelry with a soft microfiber towel and watch it sparkle like new.

Do not use cleaning techniques with steam, chemicals, or high heat when cleaning your emerald jewelry as this can cause fractures in the gem.

May Birthstone Facts

1. Emeralds grow hexagonal in shape.
  2. Under Cleopatra’s rule, emeralds were mined in 300 BC.
  3. Elizabeth Taylor had a famous Bulgari necklace made from sixteen step-cut Colombian emeralds with a 23.44-carat emerald pendant.
  4. Emeralds, aquamarines, and morganite are made from beryl stone. It is the chromium and vanadium that make an emerald green.
  5. The Rockefeller Emerald is the largest flawless emerald and is valued at USD 5.5-million.
  6. Emeralds are often more expensive than diamonds.

May Birthstone FAQs

What are the two birthstones for May?

The two birthstones for the month of May are emeralds and agate. The emerald is a lustrous green gemstone and agate is a multi-colored rock formation made of chalcedony and quartz. May birthstone rings and jewelry include either or both of these beautiful natural stones.

What color is the May birthstone?

Emerald green is a rich, dark green color. The May birthstone is the emerald, a gem that defines a shade of green. Emeralds range in shade, with more valuable specimens being darker green and less valuable ones pale green.

What is May’s birthstone and flower?

There are two birthstones and two birth flowers for those born in the month of May. The emerald gemstone and agate mineral are May’s birthstone. The hawthorn and lily of the valley are May’s birth flowers.

May Birthstone Jewelry

Discover some of our favorite and most popular emerald birthstone jewelry below!

Lab Created Emerald and Diamond Lace Pendant

A stunning lab created emerald within a sculptural diamond lace pattern graces the neck with the perfect touch of elegance and glamour.

Tess Emerald and Diamond Open Ring

An emerald baguette and marquise diamond give way to an open ring design that give this piece it’s chic and timeless charm.

Foliage Bouquet Earrings

A glittering cluster of diamonds and lab emeralds form a sophisticated and floral look in this glamorous design, creating the perfect elevated stud earrings.

Anjou Lab Emerald and Diamond Pendant

This elegant necklace features a resplendent pear-shaped lab emerald and a diamond-accented bail, creating a striking and sophisticated look sure to command attention.

Paige Emerald and Diamond Ring

An emerald and cluster of round diamonds connect in unique way that gives this ring its chic and timeless charm.

Olive Branch Lab Emerald and Diamond Pendant

A symbol of peace and achievement, this captivating pendant features elegant leaves of lab created emeralds and sparkling diamonds for an eye-catching and meaningful design.

Lab Created Emerald Tennis Bracelet

This eye-catching tennis bracelet embellishes the wrist with beautiful lab created emeralds individually set in lustrous links.

North Star Lab Emerald Pendant

Shining with the constant brightness of the North Star, this lovely pendant features a star-set lab emerald within a lustrous disc of precious metal.

Do you have a May birthday or have a favorite piece of emerald jewelry?  Let us know on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or in the comments below!

Shop the Story

You Might Also Like from the blog

Get Inspired

Tag us on Instagram @brilliantearth

Comments (84)

Lola Heck Says:
August 5th, 2019 at 3:23 pm

My Birthday is, May 25th. and I am an EMERALD GAL. The most beautiful stone.

Maddux Says:
August 5th, 2019 at 11:31 am

The best

michaeljohn dillon Says:
July 9th, 2019 at 8:08 am

I bought a 16 karat Brazilian Emerald 10 years ago on my 60th birthday it has been my special ring forever I was born May 10th 1949

gerry fortes Says:
July 7th, 2019 at 1:44 pm

I love Emerald.It is my birthstone.I was born May 4th 1937. I wished all my life to own one. But the price is unreachable for fixed income……

Elizabeth Says:
July 5th, 2019 at 6:20 pm

This jewelry is like so beautiful I want to buy one but I’m so poor I wish I had the May birthstone because it’s that beautiful.

Roger L Hankins Says:
July 5th, 2019 at 9:39 am

May 11,1964 make. Emeralds are mens choice too. My brother is may 10, mother may 27 ex friend may24 co-worker may 11,1974. Go Taurus ‘ !!!

Susan,Hahn Says:
July 5th, 2019 at 8:46 am

My mother gave me an emerald ring years ago. It has two small diamonds on either side. May 29th is my birth date.

Susan Hahn Says:
July 5th, 2019 at 8:36 am

May 29 is my birthday. I have an emerald cut ring given to me by my mother. I love it and wear it proudly?

Deborah C Dennison Says:
July 2nd, 2019 at 8:32 pm

I wear a very sweet emerald and diamond ring. The diamonds are my son’s birthstone and emerald is mine. My son explained the reasoning when he gifted it to me on my 60th birthday. This precious ring will never leave my finger.

Debbie L Santana Says:
July 2nd, 2019 at 6:31 pm

Beautiful

Crystal Baumgartner Says:
June 24th, 2019 at 7:23 am

May 13th, TaurusQueen with the birthstone the color of money…couldn’t be more perfect. Wish i could afford more jewelry bc I’m a fanatic…

Andrea Says:
June 18th, 2019 at 12:48 pm

My birthday is on May 18 and my birthstone is emerald

Paris Says:
June 17th, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Hi everyone! My B-Day is May 19th & I love emeralds. I have a beautiful triple emerald ring flanked by diamonds & I have an emerald bracelet to match it. I just recently received a pair of emerald earrings & necklace as a gift for my B-Day… Emeralds are a woman’s best friend too;))

Glenda France Says:
June 11th, 2019 at 8:48 pm

I am a grandmother of a May granddaughter. I gave her an emerald set she can’t even wear yet. She turned 13 a few weeks ago. We took her to a jewelry store to pick out something. I asked her how often she wore green. Rarely. So I suggested she choose something in blue that she can wear with the jeans she most often wears. We got her sized, but she picked a very delicate blue topaz necklace. I tell this because I thought it was a very intelligent pick. I gave her older cousin Amethist for her 13th birthday. I plan to do it with all of my Granddaughters. They are such wonderful young women. They know I love jewelry and That I intend to spoil them.

Katherine Beverly Says:
June 10th, 2019 at 3:50 pm

May 7, 1957 My class ring has my birth stone in it. *smile*

Vera Watkins Says:
June 6th, 2019 at 6:07 am

Do you specialize in opals my birthday is 10/31/50

angela lynch Says:
June 3rd, 2019 at 7:05 pm

luv it just luv it

Linda W Says:
June 1st, 2019 at 8:50 pm

I too am an Gemini, also i love emeralds even before i knew my sign. I have 2 rings 6 pairs of earrings in emerald and diamonds.

Erin Ward Says:
May 21st, 2019 at 1:25 pm

Yes, I too am a May Birthday Girl as well. May 19th. I have 2 beautiful Emerald rings, and am working on getting a third. They are my absolute Favorite Stone.

Ingrid Panknin Says:
May 16th, 2019 at 7:39 pm

My Birthday is May 14th! I have never had an Emerald, but I love the stone!

Karen Guy Says:
May 15th, 2019 at 7:17 am

I’m a May birthday girl also, and my bday is also May 19—1944! I have always loved emeralds, and I have an (emerald-cut) emerald ring surrounded by small diamonds. It is a natural emerald, not lab created. Even though it may not be huge, I love it!
P.S. Thanks for the article on emeralds, it refreshed my memory on the hx. of the gorgeous green stone!

Maria King Says:
May 14th, 2019 at 5:07 pm

Is so beautiful

Melissa Hill Says:
April 26th, 2019 at 3:39 am

I AM A May Girl!! May 26, 1967. I share the day with my Star Sister, Songbird Stevie Nicks!! Rock on Gold Dust Woman!! I also have a few Emerald rings, but none as lovely as your exquisite jewelry. So very happy to find your site. Thank you, Brilliant Earth! …And a very happy birthday to all the other May birthdays

Melissa Hill Says:
April 26th, 2019 at 3:34 am

I AM A May Girl!! May 26, 1967. I share the day with my Star Sister, Songbird Stevie Nicks!! Rock on Gold Dust Woman!! And a very happy birthday to all the other May birthdays

Mary Says:
April 25th, 2019 at 2:02 pm

I was born June 21st (Father’s Day)
And I wish I did have an emerald cut Emerald set
I lost my only (big) sister
And her birthday was May 12 ( born the day after
Mother’s day) and each yeah is different… But again I would love an nice Emerald set to wear in her honor!!!!!

Busola Says:
July 13th, 2018 at 2:54 pm

I was looking up precious stones for an idea for my company name and I got attracted to emeralds and intituively I checked for May birthstone because I was born in May…behold, Emeralds is a Maybirthstone! I am so going for emeralds. Lol

Veronica Lara Says:
May 30th, 2018 at 11:44 pm

Love the opportunity to enjoy brilliant earth

Amanda Kirk Says:
May 22nd, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Hey guys! My b-day is May 2nd, 1959. I Love my emeralds also. I have a beautiful “mother’s day” ring my hubby, (who has now passed away after a wonderful 30yr marriage, he passed 2015) purchased for me after the birth of both our daughters.. God bless you all 🙂

Deloris Bookhardt Says:
May 20th, 2018 at 4:05 pm

What method do you recommend in cleaning emeralds with cedar oil?

Deloris Bookhardt Says:
May 20th, 2018 at 4:00 pm

I am one if the May Birthday girls you mentioned in your article.
As a child I hated my birthstone, but my Dad bought my 1st birthstone ring when I was a early teen. As I grew up I learned to appreciate the beautiful stone. Of course, by then they had become very expensive.

I now have 3 emerald rings, one with a .95 point emerald cut emerald surrounded by many diamonds. It was purchased when we lived in Hawaii (Military). My husband had it custom made after the first setting literally fell apart. Extra diamonds were also added to the new setting.

For my b-day & Mother’s day this year he purchased an emerald set for me. It includes a gorgeous emerald pendant necklace and earrings. The emeralds are all emerald cut with small diamonds at the top. I also have a wedding band style ring with many small emeralds, & a oval cut emerald surrounded by diamonds. I have 2 emerald bracelets, the 1st I purchased myself, & the 2nd was given to me several years ago by our oldest son. Both bracelets include diamonds. One is white gold & the other in yellow gold .

For my birthday & Mother’s day of this year my sweet husband of 45 years got a 3 piece set which included a necklace and earrings.
The stones in the set are all A quality with gorgeous color & clarity. They are all emerald cut with diamonds. They have a ‘A’ quality rating.
I also have 3 more pair of emerald earrings, in the 1st pair, I purchased the stones loose while on a cruise that included a stop in Mexico. I had them put in a simple mounting. The 2nd pair are very simple in a plain mounting.

The 3rd pair I received from my son & daughter-in law several years ago. They are a small hoop style with 3 emeralds & 2 diamonds on each earring.

You might say I’m pretty well set when it comes to emeralds.

I enjoyed the article about emeralds and the history behind them.

Kristy Robertson Crosslin Says:
May 20th, 2018 at 3:46 pm

?

Judith Says:
May 17th, 2018 at 9:06 pm

I was born January. I have one small emerald ring. I plan on getting a set. Hoping it will bring me love and luck.

Melissa Goldston Says:
May 7th, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Hey guys

Melissa Goldston Says:
May 7th, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Hey

Yvonnemarie Says:
May 7th, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Hiya! My b-date is May 21, 1950, and I have the most beautiful emerald ring ever in the world!!! I got it out of a Cracker Jack’s box as my surprise!!! And, it really looks real!!! God bless, ya’all!!!!

Sheryl Wadkins Says:
May 3rd, 2018 at 3:06 pm

Yes I’m a may birthday girl and yes I love my beautiful emerald birthstone it is so stunning

Margarita Martinez Says:
April 20th, 2018 at 2:15 pm

Beautiful esmerald stone ring,earings, necklace! Brilliantearth is Amazing!?This information is From PCH. I need Miracle in My Life for Buy My Dream Home. I need PCH coming April 27,2018 in My address 3892 Covington Dr Saint Cloud 34772. God Almighty Jesus Christ, “Open The Door in The Heaven for Bleesing your Family and Company Brillianteart.!? Amen

Margarita Martinez Says:
April 20th, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Beautiful! Brilliantearth is Amazing!?This information is From PCH. I need Miracle in My Life for Buy My Dream Home. I need PCH coming April 27,2018 in My address 3892 Covington Dr Saint Cloud 34772. God Almighty Jesus Christ, “Open The Door in The Heaven for Bleesing your Family and Company Brillianteart.!? Amen

Margarita Martinez Says:
April 20th, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Beautiful! Brilliantearth is Amazing!?

Heather Johns Says:
April 18th, 2018 at 4:09 am

I had my daughter on May 8th-Emerald. And had my son in April-Diamond….thats gonna make one BEAUTIFUL Mothers Ring!!! Can’t wait to get one one day…hurry up kids!!! lol

Janet Says:
April 16th, 2018 at 9:53 am

My birthstone is emerald and on my 50th birthday I bought myself a beautiful round emerald ring with small diamonds surrounding it. So beautiful.

Heather Forrester Says:
March 30th, 2018 at 7:56 pm

My birth date is May 19th, the date of the Royal Wedding. I own a very old Emerald Ring which I bought when I first started working, many years ago. I would LOVE a new Emerald Ring, Emeralds are a favourite for sure!

Heather Forrester Says:
March 30th, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Michele Lee Says:
March 17th, 2018 at 5:53 am

May 28th and I own two beautiful emerald rings! One of my favorite gems.

Marylou Mitchell Says:
March 11th, 2018 at 6:17 pm

My birthstone is an Emerald, I would love to have one and hopefully someday I will.
My Birthday is on May 25

Eileen Says:
February 16th, 2018 at 8:54 pm

My birthday is in February but I have always loved too ware Emeralds they make me feel good

Tania Keller Says:
February 13th, 2018 at 8:29 pm

I was born on May 4th so I am an Emerald girl…I love the stone and I love May, such a beautiful month!
I have 3 rings, and beautiful earrings, ,my next is going to be a BRAZALETE that eventually will come one of this days.

Dot Makar Says:
February 7th, 2018 at 12:52 am

My first child was born May 8,1956
And2yrs later I had two girls born May4, 1958. We all have emeralds. Mine is a pinkie and they have solitaires

Colleen Says:
January 25th, 2018 at 12:09 pm

I’m a May baby and emerald is my favorite stone had one but I have to get another ring and earrings

Jennifer chamberlin Says:
December 29th, 2017 at 12:34 am

I am a maygirl, may 8th 1968. I think emerald has got to be the prettiest gem of them all.

J. Ramsey Says:
December 19th, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I A

I’m A May Birthday Girl. May 28th. I do own an Emerald Ring.

Diane Young Says:
November 27th, 2017 at 3:44 am

I was born in May and have always loved emeralds. I have nurmous rings, earnings, and necklaces. The piece that I love the most is a Jackie Kennedy’s necklace that my husband purchased for me for our honeymoon. It is just so beautiful. My hope is that one day we will be able to purchase another piece from her collection.

Anne Says:
November 23rd, 2017 at 3:20 pm

I’m a May baby from way back.
Have a beautiful emerald ring bought in the Dominican and lovely emerald earings bought for me at home

Debra Cox Says:
November 22nd, 2017 at 7:24 am

Im a May girl…May 5..
I at this time don’t own a emerald ring lost mine…been heart broken ever since. .but think it may be a great Christmas gift to myself. ?

Emma Says:
November 20th, 2017 at 4:42 pm

my birthstone is emerald.

Simone Says:
November 11th, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Best suff ever buy is it will change your life

Simone Says:
November 11th, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Best stuff

Billie Says:
November 2nd, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Loves the tory

Billie Says:
November 2nd, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Hee

Anonamous Says:
October 30th, 2017 at 11:24 pm

IM WEIRD

Anonamous Says:
October 30th, 2017 at 11:21 pm

(I get excited over random things)

Anonamous Says:
October 30th, 2017 at 11:20 pm

I’m a may baby! Trish g (whoever that is her name is next to the comment submit thing) said something on may nineth! That’s mah b-day!!!!!

Kevin OLeary Says:
September 27th, 2017 at 12:37 pm

My birthday is May 1, 1958. My parents gave me an emerald ring for my 16th birthday that I have worn every day since. I get many compliments almost daily.I cherish this ring with all my heart and soul

Marija Milotic Says:
August 27th, 2017 at 1:04 pm

I’m a May Emerald girl!
A gorgeous Spring month!
Cant wait to own a genuine emerald stone one day! I admire & love emeralds! My b-day May 24th 1954 and a Victoria Day girl feeling so regal! ?

Angelina Jaramillo Kern Says:
August 13th, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Yes I’m a MAY BIRTHDAY GIRL.
I do have a Emerald. And I love my birth stone. …Thanks for asking .
Yours truly,
A J K

Ethel Rogers Says:
August 5th, 2017 at 11:44 am

Love the Emerald . Don’t own own one yet . Birthday May 16 1944. They are beautiful!!!

Desiree Says:
July 18th, 2017 at 8:54 am

I too owned a beautiful emerald ring from a store that use to be called Jessops however, it was given to me as a gift ? for, a baby shower gift. I took it in for a cleaning and they removed my stone only to replace it w a fake:( my heart was saddened. Never replaced it.

Laura mckenzie Says:
July 14th, 2017 at 7:13 pm

May 11th is my birthday and I do have emeralds in some of my jewelry including some rings. I hardly wear them. Not much of a jewelry wearer.

David Camarillo Says:
June 25th, 2017 at 3:00 pm

What about us may guys? I love emeralds too!

Dian Davies Says:
June 14th, 2017 at 10:39 am

I am a Gemini born 4 June I own an emerald ring which I treasure

Renate J Says:
June 13th, 2017 at 10:02 am

When I was born I was given a emerald ring it is so tiny that it will not even fit on my little finger. At some point I will take it and have it changed into something wearable. It has many lovely memories for me.

Susan Says:
June 10th, 2017 at 5:53 am

Susan Says:
June 10th, 2017 at 5:53 am

Sí.Amorè.Yes. Lily-flower, Name to Angelicize in month. Fan of Professor Angelina Joliet. ?

Su?an Says:
June 10th, 2017 at 5:50 am

Sí. Amorè.yes, birthstone-Lily,angelicize the month. Admiration for Angelina Joliet
?.

Lois Belle Soler Says:
June 7th, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Correction: earing’s

Lois Belle Soler Says:
June 7th, 2017 at 2:13 pm

I am a May Baby born in May 22, 1953 born in Barranquilla, Colombia SA and Emeralds has bee part of my entire life. I love them and I keep one on my finger at all times. I have ratings and also a pendant. I do own several Emerald rings.

Tava Says:
June 7th, 2017 at 10:26 am

No interest

Tava Says:
June 7th, 2017 at 10:25 am

N/a

Connie Atkinson Says:
June 5th, 2017 at 7:28 am

I myself am a May Birthday girl., and own three emerald rings and one set of emerald earrings. I love them and the will pass them on to my daughters. In my time comes so they can enjoy the beauty of an emerald. It has brought me long loving life and happiness. And hope to buy apiece to put on my 18′ chain, to show the beauty to everyone.

Denise Says:
May 26th, 2017 at 9:37 am

Yes, I own a Emeral Ring. My birthday was May 13, 1939 It is beautiful.

Michelle Says:
May 23rd, 2017 at 6:27 am

My mom & I are May emerald girls!! My mom’s fav color is emerald green, she has passed and I now am honored to wear her beautiful emerald & diamond heart pendant. Which reminds me of her love every day. ? luv ya ma !

Marcie steele Says:
May 18th, 2017 at 9:38 am

What superstitions surround emeralds

ron pino Says:
May 18th, 2017 at 7:02 am

What are the chances of winning some emerald jewelry.

Trish G Says:
May 9th, 2017 at 12:09 pm

I think because I fell in love with ‘Emerald City’ in ‘The Wizard of Oz’ I fell in love woth emeralds – even though Im a January garnet girl!

Years later I received one from my first real boyfriend as a pre-engagement ring.

We didn’t marry & I returned the ring to his mother.

In 2007 I met the perfect male for me. He was a Taurus and boasted an emerald birthstone!

He passed and I wear a beautoful lab created one in his honor.

I absolutely love emeralds and their regal’ness’ & cant wait to own a genuine emerald stone one day!