Mobile Top Button Desktop Top Button

Can You Tell Which Diamonds are Lab Grown?

Can You Tell Which Diamonds are Lab Grown?

Although grown by scientists instead of created in the earth’s crust, lab diamonds are absolutely real diamonds—they display the same chemical and optical properties as natural diamonds.

Even expert gemologists can’t tell the difference with the naked eye, but just for fun we’re offering you the chance to guess. The engagement rings on this page either feature a lab grown or natural mined center diamond. See if your instincts can determine which is which! Learn more about lab diamonds on our website.

Classic Round Lab Diamonds

Classic Round Lab Diamonds

If you’re looking for a lab grown diamond in a classic round brilliant cut, you’re in luck, because we have an expansive selection of round lab diamonds. When the process of growing a diamond was first invented, labs were only capable of creating small diamonds, but today you can purchase lab diamonds in large sizes well over 3 carats! (This picture of our 14K rose gold Twilight Diamond Ring features a naturally mined round diamond.)

Lab Diamonds in Fancy Shapes & Colors

Lab Diamonds in Fancy Shapes and Colors

Lab diamonds are also available in a variety of shapes including emerald, oval, cushion, radiant, pear, marquise, princess and asscher. If you love colored gemstones, consider a lab created colored diamond in fancy shades like yellow, pink, blue, and orange. (This is our 14K rose gold Willow Diamond Ring set with a lab created emerald diamond.)

lab created colored diamond

Lab Diamonds with Lab Created Accents

Lab Diamonds with Lab Created Accents

If you’d like your ring to feature lab created diamonds or gemstones, you can have a lab diamond set in a ring featuring lab accent diamonds. We also offer wedding bands set with lab created gemstones and diamonds. (This 18K white gold Soleil Diamond Ring is set with an oval lab created diamond with lab diamond accents.)

Natural Diamonds vs. Lab Grown Diamonds

Primrose-Diamond-Ring

If you couldn’t tell the lab diamonds from the natural ones, we’re not surprised—and if you could you’re just a lucky guesser! Lab diamonds are created in high-temperature, high-pressure chambers that reproduce the conditions in the earth’s crust. The result is carbon atoms arranged in the structure of a diamond crystal and diamonds that are every bit as magical as the ones created naturally millions of years ago and mined today. (Our 18K yellow gold Primrose Diamond Ring set with a natural princess diamond.)

Attractive Prices

Lab diamonds usually cost about 30% less than natural diamonds of comparable size and quality. But these diamonds are every bit as luxurious as their natural counterparts, since their dazzling beauty and durability are the same. It is important to know that there’s a big difference between lab created diamonds and diamond simulants, such as cubic zirconia and moissanite. These simulants are not made of the carbon crystals, and do not possess the same brilliance as diamonds. For that reason, simulants sell at much lower prices than lab created diamonds.

Browse our collection of lab created diamonds, and if you don’t find what you’re looking for do not hesitate to contact us and we can help you source your ideal diamond.

Do you wear a lab diamond engagement ring, or would you? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter, or in the comments section!

Shop the Story

You Might Also Like from the blog

Get Inspired

Tag us on Instagram @brilliantearth

Comments (22)

B. Earth Says:
November 25th, 2019 at 11:34 am

Hi there, that’s a great question for our jewelry specialists! You can reach them at 1.800.691.0952, info@brilliantearth.com, or through the live chat on our site (https://www.brilliantearth.com/). Thanks for reaching out!

haverwench Says:
August 19th, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Actually, it was pretty easy to guess; in every case, the lab diamond is the larger stone. A mined stone of similar size would be too expensive.

philippe Says:
August 5th, 2018 at 10:49 pm

I am looking for a 3.5 to 4.5 carat diamond for my fiancee and can not decide if I’m going for lab or natural diamond; i am reading that the lab diamond has no resale value? That the price of lab diamonds is going to go down because of the Chinese?

Esther Lee Says:
June 23rd, 2018 at 3:42 am

I can tell the difference in every picture. My Daughter bought one, she was told nothing about color or clarity. The ring was close to 10k and has an obvious flaw,visible to the naked eye.

Vince Says:
May 30th, 2018 at 8:48 am

Most importantly, lab-created diamonds don’t contribute to misery in war-torn regions.

B. Earth Says:
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Hi Catherine, please reach out to our jewelry specialists at info@brilliantearth.com or through the live chat on our website. Thanks for reaching out!

Catherine E. Moran Says:
March 23rd, 2018 at 2:25 pm

I had a pair of 1 kt lab made diamond studs, and I lost the other one. Is it possible to match the diamond if I send a picture?

Stephanie Says:
February 28th, 2018 at 1:36 pm

@Devils, I agree, I think the lab created diamonds lack depth… in these pictures anyways

B. Earth Says:
January 3rd, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Hi Betty, you can find all of our rings on our website here: https://www.brilliantearth.com/. Thanks for your interest!

Betty Says:
January 1st, 2018 at 10:28 pm

Hi, I bought a ring with 3 diamonds, two little ones on each side of the bigger one in the middle. I would love to find out how much this beautiful ring costs.
Do you have any catalogues I can compare. Thank you

? Says:
November 17th, 2017 at 1:26 am

?

Devils Says:
May 8th, 2017 at 2:11 am

I got 2/3 right because synthetics are brighter

ro weir Says:
February 21st, 2017 at 9:26 am

canu tel the real diamonds fron thelab stones

Lorraine Says:
July 14th, 2016 at 6:15 pm

The felicity diamond ring is beautiful and my first choice as an older woman.

B. Earth Says:
May 4th, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hi Orlando,

You can find our guide to ring sizing here: http://www.brilliantearth.com/ring_size/.
You may also be interested in our guide to finding her ring size without her knowing: http://www.brilliantearth.com/news/how-to-find-out-her-ring-size-without-her-knowing/.
Thanks for your interest!

Orlando Says:
May 4th, 2016 at 5:15 am

How to find her ring size

LeeAnn Says:
February 2nd, 2016 at 6:37 pm

All of these rings are stunning and I could not tell them apart. I have a 1.8 ct lab created diamond engagement ring. It’s so beautiful and a fraction of the cost of a mined diamond ring. I told my fiance not to spend so much more on mined diamonds when these are real and just as beautiful.

Kimmie Says:
February 2nd, 2016 at 10:33 am

All diamonds are stunning…natural AND lab grown!

Rosabella Says:
December 26th, 2015 at 3:56 am

Was able to distinguish fake from real each time. The lab fake looked murky and like death was in it

B. Earth Says:
October 26th, 2015 at 11:17 am

Hi Cary, you can view the carat weights and prices of our diamonds here: http://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/search/. Our jewelry specialists would also be more than happy to advise you on purchasing a diamond engagement ring and answer your questions in more depth via email (http://www.brilliantearth.com/contact/) or at 800.691.0952. Thank you for your interest!

cary moore Says:
October 25th, 2015 at 6:04 pm

I would like to see 4 or 5 carat lab diamond rings on your site along with the prices. Thank you.

Lisa Says:
October 8th, 2015 at 12:34 am

Question from this site: Do you wear a lab diamond engagement ring, or would you? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter, or in the comments section! – See more at: http://www.brilliantearth.com/news/can-you-tell-which-diamonds-are-lab-grown/#sthash.557CkVfv.dpuf

My Answer: After reviewing and educating myself somewhat about Natural Diamonds vs Lab Grown Diamonds, I can say with great enthusiasm that YES I WOULD AND I’m going to browse now! I love you Tony L. Kennerly, #LOVEOFMYLIFE #we’re getting married!!!!”