An engagement and/or wedding ring is not only one of the biggest purchases of your life, but is also a lasting and important symbol of your lifetime together as a couple. Before taking the leap, make sure that you shop around for jewelers and learn to ask all of the right questions:
1. Look for a jeweler with a clear conflict-free diamond policy. Their policy should be both in print and listed on their official website. In addition to ensuring Kimberley Process compliance, the policy should address social and environmental issues. Avoid policies that do not address human rights abuses or environmental impact, or those that rely solely on compliance with the Kimberley Process.
On top of the printed policy, make sure that your jeweler can answer your questions regarding your gem’s origins. They should be able to identify the name of the mine and provide independent verification of its social and environmental responsibility. They should also be able to tell you how they track their stones from mine to the finished product.
2. Look for a jeweler that uses recycled metals wherever possible. Much commercial gold comes from mines in developing countries that employ children and adults in inhumane conditions and leave behind massive quantities of toxic waste, including cyanide, mercury, and arsenic. Less than 25% of gold used in jewelry comes from recycled sources when in fact gold and platinum can be endlessly recycled without compromise to their quality and without the environmental impact of newly mined metals.
3. Look for a jeweler with a wide range of ring designs. Every gal is different, and you’ll want to make sure that your ring design perfectly suits your style and personality. Brilliant Earth offers five unique design collections: Classic, Natural, Antique, Glamorous and Modern. Our rings are available with numerous different stones, settings and materials, ensuring that you end up with a perfect style fit.
4. Look for a jeweler with full custom-design services and capabilities. If a bride can’t find the ring she wants, she should be able to create it – she’s going to wear this ring for the rest of her life, after all! Brilliant Earth’s Custom Engagement Rings ensure she gets exactly what she’s looking for.
5. Look for a jeweler that carries a wide selection of alternative gemstones and metals. Precious colored gemstones create gorgeous accents or a beautiful centerpiece and many jewelers lack broad inventory and expertise with these stones. You may also be interested in alternative metals, such as rose gold and palladium. Brilliant Earth offers a variety of recycled or responsibly obtained precious metals, in addition to sapphires, emeralds and rubies of ethical origin
6. Look for a jeweler that never compromises on quality. Brilliant Earth provides the highest quality jewelry originating from pure sources and produced using socially responsible practices.
7. Look for a jeweler that provides excellent customer service and convenience. When making one of the biggest purchases of your life, you don’t want any of your questions to go unanswered. Brilliant Earth’s customer service representatives are here to answer your questions, explain your options, arrange your delivery, and help you make those important decisions.
8. Look for a jeweler with a glowing reputation. A good track record and dazzling customer reviews say it best – you’ll get what you pay for and be thrilled with the results. Check out our Customer Testimonials for some of the many ways in which we’ve earned our great reputation.
9. Look for a jeweler with an airtight Warranty Policy. If something should go wrong during the manufacturing process or you discover a flaw in your ring, you should be able to return or fix it, no questions asked. Brilliant Earth offers a free lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects on all of our fine jewelry.
10. Look for a jeweler that gives back. At Brilliant Earth, we firmly believe that high quality jewelry need not come at great human or environmental cost. We are proud of our efforts to support mining communities with gemology training and medical aid, as well as to promote land restoration in gem-producing regions. Brilliant Earth donates 5% of our profits to communities in Africa that have been affected by the diamond industry.