previous story

Moissanite vs. Diamond

next story

Engagement Rings in Los Angeles

Today’s Top Engagement Trends

Celeste Perron

At Brilliant Earth we spend our days helping couples select the rings that symbolize their love and commitment, and designing rings that capture their individual styles and personalities. We’re excited to share some of the latest engagement ring trends we are seeing. Here are a few things we’ve noticed about the styles couples are loving in 2016 so far:

Delicate Silhouettes

Lissome Diamond Ring copy

We’ve seen a return to classic elegance as couples opt for thin, petite bands, both in engagement and wedding rings. Often these rings feature accent diamonds that add subtle shimmer and make the center gemstone really pop, as seen in the Lissome Diamond Ring, which features scalloped pavé diamond accents on a thin band that rises to a cathedral setting.

Scalloped Pavé Accents

SImone Diamond Ring copy

When it comes to accent diamonds along the band, today’s couples gravitate toward scalloped or French pavé diamonds (a seen in the Simone Engagement Ring, above). This look minimizes visible precious metal, creating an effect of pure shimmer. Not too long ago bands with channel-set diamonds and straight pavé with metal “rails” were the go-to look. We suspect the shift toward scalloped pavé accents may be inspired by the current popularity of handcrafted vintage rings, which often feature this style of pavé.

Claw Prong Settings

Audrey Diamond Ring

Claw prongs narrow to a super-fine tip (hence the name) and minimize the precious metal needed to secure the center gemstone, showcasing more of its beauty.  Claw prongs and “split-claw” prongs (seen in the Audrey Engagement Ring) are very en vogue because they add a special designer detail to a classic style.

Nature-Inspired Designs

Willow Engagement Ring copy

Ring settings that evoke vines, leaves, and buds using wispy, naturalistic designs remain very sought after, especially with couples who love the outdoors. Our Willow Engagement Ring features marquise-shaped “buds” of accent diamonds.

Twisting and Woven Silhouettes

Twisted Vine Engagement Ring copy

Many of today’s couples are drawn to ring bands featuring intertwining strands of metal and diamonds (as seen in the Petite Twisted Vine Engagement Ring). These rings can symbolize both infinite love and intertwining fates, making them a very romantic choice.

Distinctive Halo Styles

Diamond Halo Engagement Ring

Halo designs featuring traditional round and cushion shaped diamonds have been a big trend for years now, perhaps because of their romantic vintage-inspired look, or because of the way a halo of accent diamonds makes a center diamond appear larger. Now we see couples craving more distinctive halo designs, such as halos around compass point settings (as seen in the Cometa Engagement Ring), double halos, and halos with floral details.

Fancy Shaped Gemstones

Fortuna Halo Ring

While traditional round brilliant cut diamonds remain the most popular shape for center gemstones, more and more couples now opt for distinctive fancy shapes, such as square cushion cut diamonds and elongated fancy shapes, such as oval and emerald cut diamonds. The Fortuna Engagement Ring makes an elegant showcase for an emerald cut diamond (and features some other top trends of the day–claw prongs and a split band). White gold princess cut engagement rings are ever-popular.

Rose Gold

Rose Gold Bezel Set Engagement Ring

The warmth and romance of rose gold make it a very in demand precious metal for engagement rings. It’s a fitting choice for a vintage-inspired design, but looks equally stunning in a modern style, such as the Luna Engagement Ring. Men are also getting in on the action–we often see a groom choosing a rose gold men’s wedding band that coordinates with his fiance’s rose gold rings. Rose gold halo engagement ring settings are particularly sought after.

Mixing Precious Metals

mixed metal odessa

The combination of two different precious metals is often seen in vintage rings but was rarely seen in new designs–until now.  Perhaps inspired by antique styles, a growing number of couples are asking for rings that combine two tones (usually white gold with rose or yellow gold) in one ring, as in the Mixed Metal Odessa Diamond Ring.

Non-traditional Designs

rosebud ring

While today’s brides-to-be love the tradition of engagement rings, they don’t always want the rings to look traditional. Many women are opting to make a statement, to express their unique personalities or aesthetics. These couples usually seek custom designs or non-traditional rings involving elements like black rhodium, rose cut diamonds, and less traditional colored gemstones such as aquamarines.

Split Shank and Asymmetrical Bands

Chamise Ring

While in recent decades most engagement rings focused on the center gemstone, with little thought given to the band, some of the most sought after styles today involve eye-catching bands, like split shanks and curving, asymmetrical ones, as seen in the Chamise Engagement Ring.

Surprise Details

Flashy rings may be less popular than in years past, but couples crave beautiful little touches that set a ring apart. From gallery diamonds and double prong settings, as seen in the Pirouette Diamond Ring, to diamonds on all sides of a perfectly curved band, as seen in the Enchant Diamond Ring, people are seeking surprise details that are less about dazzling others and more about bringing delight to the wearer.

Baguette Accents

Tapered Baguetted Diamond Ring Jpg

With their rectangular shape and step facets, baguette accent diamonds possess an elegant beauty that gives rings a classically beautiful look (as seen in the Tapered Baguette Diamond Ring). For the past few years shimmering pavé accent diamonds have eclipsed baguettes as the accent gems of choice, but now baguettes are growing in popularity.

Colored Gemstones

While diamonds remain as sought after as ever, we see a growing percentage of couples opting for bold colored gemstones as a way to express their style and individuality. These couples are falling for sapphires, both in the traditional deep blue and in less common shades of yellow, pink, peach, teal and green, as well as rings featuring emeralds, aquamarines,
and other vibrant gems. The sapphire Waverly Engagement Ring, above, also features the of-the-moment claw prongs and scalloped pavé accents.

Unique Vintage Rings

Daphne ring

The romantic rings in our collection of vintage and antique engagement rings are beloved by couples looking for a unique piece that tells a story. A few years ago diamond rings from the Edwardian era were especially in demand, but we’re finding that couples are now drawn to a broader swath of styles, especially Art Deco engagement rings, as well as distinctive pieces from the Victorian and Retro eras. Couples love both the old-world feel of these designs and the chance to weave a vintage piece into their own story.

What do you think of these engagement trends?  Have you recently become engaged?  Share your story with us on Facebook or Twitter, or in the comments section!

Penny Says:
April 8th, 2015 at 2:12 am

I think a mix of shopping online and also visiting a few stores when buying a ring is a pretty good way to shop. You get the best of both worlds by seeing and trying some rings as we did with my partner. It’s nice to try a few rings and look at the diamonds close up. We were quite new to all this so we studied up online first about diamonds and the properties, features to look out for, this free eBook was helpful for learning the ins and outs of diamonds too.

Heather Says:
April 9th, 2015 at 8:14 am

What is the one in the top picture, at the beginning of the article?

B. Earth Says:
April 9th, 2015 at 9:40 am

Hi Heather, this is our Pirouette Diamond Ring and you can view it online here: Thank you for your interest!

Daniel Says:
April 14th, 2015 at 11:22 pm

These arent merely as good looking as a “split band, cushion diamond, white gold” style rings. they are far more glamorous and excel beauty in its style.

Callie D Says:
April 23rd, 2015 at 5:24 am

These rings are beautiful! I am single and plan to buy my own diamond ring, after waiting for years and two bad relationships I deserve a real ring.

Jay Says:
April 23rd, 2015 at 3:30 pm

These are the way to go. Simple and elegant. Hopefully, you’ll only buy one.

Barbara Says:
April 25th, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I always was and always will be a solitaire girl. My mom has a tear drop solitaire and my hubby got me a Princess cut solitaire. My wedding bad has 10 Princess Cut diamonds and LOVE IT!

Teresa Says:
April 28th, 2015 at 10:52 pm

I have a sapphire cushion cut halo engagement ring and I always get complements on it. Hats off to the non-traditional!!!

Amanda Says:
May 2nd, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Last Christmas, my fiance proposed to me with an emerald cut center sapphire with side baguettes and pave diamonds halfway around the band. I did not want a diamond, and really wanted something non-traditional and vintage. I wanted a real vintage ring, but he wanted no part in case it had “bad juju”. This was designed for him by our jeweler, and I love it. It is absolutely beautiful and he hit the nail on the head (with no “bad juju”).

James Feisley Says:
May 5th, 2015 at 2:08 am

The cost of wedding rings for the traditional woman is a deal breaker.

Tionia Says:
May 5th, 2015 at 9:06 am

My daughter had a beautiful wedding band made with the center stone being an aquarium with two diamonds flanking it. The stones are rectangular and thin to match the band. I had never seen a wedding band like this before but it is beautiful and unique, just like she is.

Daphne Says:
May 6th, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Tionia, surely you mean aquamarine, not aquarium!

Ruthie Says:
May 6th, 2015 at 7:43 pm

A ring with an aquarium?? Fish and everything?

FAS Says:
May 11th, 2015 at 11:27 am

With all due respect, who wants a “trendy” engagement ring?

liz Says:
May 12th, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I am so tired of everyone trying to outdo each other> How about a plain silver band and donate the rest to starving children in the USA

Barb Says:
May 13th, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I refused a diamond ring both times I got married. If a guy spends three months salary on me for a stupid piece of jewelry that was mined by a child slave he’s not th eone for me. I abhor materialism. If we’re going to spend money, I’d rather travel or invest in a home.

sallyJ Says:
May 13th, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Most of these new trends are because men are becoming cheap and don’t want to spend money. Gold prices are high and thin bands require less gold. If you are going to wear something everyday for the rest of your life do you really want a flimsy little band. Make your guy cough up the cash and get you a substantial ring.

Kvnl Says:
May 16th, 2015 at 8:05 am

Not sure how many of people know the meaning of engagement.
“Forever with my precious chosen beloved one”
Thats why it is presented with most precious gem in the gold ring.
Gold ring because it cames from the Earth like the first man was criated and it won’t change forever only wears down like man gets old.
Diamond because its most precious gem in the Earth like woman created first to be with the man.
Althoght, meaning of precious gem, depending of individual could be different gem than diamond.

frank Says:
May 17th, 2015 at 7:07 am

Diamonds – the biggest scam of all. They can be made with higher quality in the lab for much less, but those in control of the mines have labeled those “fake.” Oh how easily we are duped. The market is carefully manipulated so that the price remains high, even though diamonds are not rare at all. But they sure are shiny!

Congratulations all you soon-to-be-weds!

May 18th, 2015 at 8:03 am

Every person has their individual taste and each couple should decide what is best for them. Please keep in mind jewelry is an matter of preference, an investment and s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Appraisals can be subjective and primarily used for insurances purpose. Rings are merely outward symbols of he union what really counts and stands the test of time is the covenant, the marriage itself and commitment between husband and wife.

Jamie Says:
May 20th, 2015 at 3:57 am

Lately a new trend among hipsters in Northern Oregon is to have both the partners create a ring out of their own fecal matter. This can take up to 3 years to properly dry and lose any of its E. coli which usually gives both partners a long enough waiting period to figure out whether or not they are truly in love. It sounds gross, but essentially they are made the same way diamonds are made in the earth, just using the pressure of one own orafice to solidify the fecal matter into a tangible item. I’m in the midst of the process as we speak and it has been so much more rewarding than going to a store and buying some ring like everybody else.

Joan Marshall Says:
May 20th, 2015 at 8:18 am

I am out of the usual idea of a diamond engagement ring. I like colour so my ring was a beautiful Aquamarine. I am now nearly 70 and it has been given to a very special grand daughter of my ex husband as a heir loom. You may ask what is is an heir loom? it is passed on to females in the family to be kept in the family. Think unusual break out of the mold.

Cornelius Hill Says:
May 20th, 2015 at 10:27 am

I designed the engagement ring and wedding band for the lady I would one day marry while I was in College and had it made and I purchased finish paying for it in 1985, it was a 2 ct Marquise cut Solitaire and it dropped into a wedding band that has smaller Baguette and Marquise diamonds(all stones were hand selected). It was something that I had to do, even though I had to allow the designer to use my design if they wanted too, to till day I have not seen any ring like it. Now for the big shocker, I just got married on July 21 2013 and when she asked what I wanted in a ring I told her I wanted something that linked to her ring so I have a solidwhite gold wedding band with a grove a 1.3 ct Marquise diamond sunk in the center and I love it

Wayne Says:
May 24th, 2015 at 4:44 pm

I love beautiful jewelry. I think jewelry is more expensive than it should be, but jewelry really makes a woman glow.

And good women deserve that.

Lolly Says:
May 24th, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I want all the diamonds I can get so I have something to cash in when the marriage bites the dust.

Jacqueline Says:
May 24th, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Hmmm I had a white gold engagement ring that was an overlay type with a wide white gold band. For our 12 th anniversary my DH purchased a one carat marquis diamond ring with a slim wedding band. My first DH died several yrs ago. My 2nd DH purchased a 2 carat emerald cut engagement ring. The wedding band had 12 emerald cut small diamonds that went half-way around the band….absolutely gorgeous ! I continue to wear the set my 1st DH purchased long ago……

Maida VanPelt Says:
May 26th, 2015 at 11:26 am

My “engagement”diamond came on our 35th anniversary. It was the dream solitaire wrapped with small diamond chips. The original engagement ring was a Singer sewing machine that I wanted to sew our house into a home. Both were equally wonderful to receive.

JLS Says:
May 28th, 2015 at 11:53 am

Diamonds are boring, mining them is environmentally destructive, and the price is artificially inflated by manufactured scarcity. That’s why we went for a lab created emerald (much clearer and prettier color than “natural”) in a sterling silver setting with lab created white sapphire flanking stones. Fully a million times more elegant and interesting than boring, generic diamond rings at a mere fraction of the cost. A win all around.

Lynda Says:
May 28th, 2015 at 2:59 pm

My husband bought me a 1.4ct solitaire diamond ring set high in a 4 claw setting on a slim gold band, 44 years ago, for no reason, for $2100, which we thought was very expensive in those days, but to this day I still get comments on it as it looks very modern. Over the years have added other rings to my collection but this one is still a standout.

Terri Says:
May 30th, 2015 at 1:49 am

My husband had my dream ring made for me after we became grandparents to a beautiful baby girl. The gold was from his father’s wedding band and my grandfather’s wedding band (they both passed away years before). The smaller diamonds in two rows across the band were from a diamond ring my husband gave me for Christmas twenty years ago. The one carat solitaire that sits above it all on four “arms” is from the original engagement ring that my son-in-law gave my daughter. My precious grand-daughter is my daughter’s child. My ring will go to her when I’m gone. I love the history of it, knowing that my grand-daughter will have a beautiful piece of so many of the generations that came before her!

Deanna Says:
May 30th, 2015 at 11:35 am

When I got engaged I received a 5′ 11″ Brown-eyed, black-haired, very nicely built, hell of a man. We love doing almost everything together and he gives me a kind of happiness everyday that no one could ever match. This year we will be together for 8 yrs., married for 5 yrs., and yes, I received a diamond with a gold band so on and so forth, but I told him straight up from the get go, do not buy me a big diamond, I don’t believe in them, they are not necessary for our love and our marriage., but I was very insistent on him picking it out. I just honestly feel their is way too much emphasis on engagement/wedding rings. My Grandfather made his and my Grandmothers wedding bands out of steel from the factory from which he worked. Love matters, jewelry does not.

NIC Says:
May 31st, 2015 at 6:23 am

I think everyone has their personal preference about their wedding/engagement ring. I just wish everyone knew how to wear their ring. The wedding band should go on ur finger first then the engagement ring. The reason being God mentions a band close to the heart to symbolize ur loved one being the closest to ur heart. An engagement is a sign of wanting to marry..that is all…the wedding band shows to all that u r married. So out of love for the one u married please wear the wedding band closest to ur heart. You can wear the engagement ring on the right hand during the ceremony and then after the band is placed on ur hand u can put the engagement ring over on the left as well.

May 31st, 2015 at 6:50 am

What is the name/item number of the featured engagement ring shown here with the tiny tear drop shape from side view w/tiny diamonds on sides?

Dave Says:
May 31st, 2015 at 11:20 am

Gaudy, ugly, unoriginal. What happened to jewelry as art?

cynthia Says:
May 31st, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I have a solitaire with hearts on the band. I have been told princess , and any other cut
has a habit of chipping, or falling out. NOT sure if its true or not. But I agree, I don’t want what everyone
Else has! So keep your trends.

B. Earth Says:
June 1st, 2015 at 9:00 am

Hi Joanne, this is our Pirouette Diamond Ring and you can view it online here: Thank you for your interest!

Natelle Says:
June 4th, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Really SallyJ? “Make your guy cough up the catch & get you a substantial ring”?! Wow. No wonder marriages don’t last these days. What an atrocious thing to say.

Anne Says:
June 7th, 2015 at 1:32 am

When I married for the 2nd time 25 yrs ago, we chose not to have an engagement ring, but as a wedding ring we had special “initial” rings made, mine was set with diamonds. The initials are … AB. They are unique and very special and we get lots of lovely comments about them

ginny Says:
June 7th, 2015 at 10:03 am

It’s what is in the heart!! My first ring was a small pear shaped and a simple band. I loved it but it bent I’m into material things . I love my husband just for who he is.!!!

Phirzcol Says:
June 9th, 2015 at 9:00 am

I hate gold color and clear is uninspiring. I gave my wife a silver engagement ring I hammered out myself. When it was time to get married and after much searching, I bought a ring combo engagement band and wedding ring. White gold with a beautiful color change sapphire and 6 diamond chips side by side. The colors of the ring matched the colors in our wedding. She knows I bought it second hand. We don’t care. Its simply a way of letting others know you are married. The commitment is in the heart not the finger.

Audra haynes Says:
June 11th, 2015 at 11:24 pm

I think there’s a huge difference between a nice ring and just gaudy. I hate haudy-it makes you, and the person that bought it,look ridiculous. Like one of those crazy rappers.
I’f iit’s so big,you have to make a replica-then you probably don’t need it
hats off too the non-traditional…unfortunately I’m allergic to anything except gold:(

Ariel Says:
June 14th, 2015 at 11:10 pm

My wedding ring was a black tungsten ring to match my husband’s ring. I broke out (eczema) from it so I Bought a gold band with 5 diamonds on it. When I got pregnant with my second child my hands got to fat and did not go back to the original size. Now I have a plain skinny gold band with my mom’s 2nd wedding ring from my dad :).

Elizabeth Greening Says:
June 15th, 2015 at 4:23 pm

My husband gave the exact ring on our 10th
Anniversary and I lost sight of it. Lost or stolen!!! I’ve been wondering where it is ever since. It was very beautiful. I’m from Bathurdt

Gale Watson Says:
June 17th, 2015 at 4:30 am

Mossinite better than diamond.
Che k it out!

Nancy Drew Says:
June 17th, 2015 at 5:09 am

Give me a classic ring any day. A lot of these look like 2015 and will be dated soon.

Nancy Drew Says:
June 17th, 2015 at 5:10 am

Give me a classic ring.

Lucy Says:
June 19th, 2015 at 6:01 am

A lot of people are looking at the prices of jewelry and wanting something more personal than trendy. My husband and I went to one of those gem mine places and mined our own gems together. Then we picked out the stones to be cut from that (our birthstones- sapphire and white topaz). Then we went to a jeweler and got them set in white gold. It isn’t very traditional looking at all, but we preferred something that we can enjoy the memory of, and tell our children and grandchildren about one day.

J. Jeweler Says:
June 26th, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I think it’s hilarious how many American’s don’t know that the sapphire is the traditional wedding ring *and* that diamonds have a very dodgy history (with their main use being for war)–that is until de beers–line up cattle and buy your worthless diamond LOL

ivy roldan Says:
June 28th, 2015 at 6:15 am

Guess I’m not the only one, but what is it to have a real diamond?

B.C Says:
July 1st, 2015 at 10:42 am

I inherited an antique ring with two large diamonds, they had the miners cut. Beautiful cut, set in platinum.

Last year I gave it to my Neice.

My question is why did they stop doing the Miners Cut?

lyssa Says:
July 1st, 2015 at 11:15 am

A diamond on a plain band is timeless and identified as the traditional engagement ring.

Ally Says:
July 1st, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I was engaged in December. On Christmas, 9 months pregnant and in our PJs on cold Christmas morning. He had proposed to me with a solitaire. It’s the most simple and elegant ring I could imagine. Do you believe the solitaire look is back in?

Siya Says:
July 3rd, 2015 at 12:14 am

That ring is amazing

Bev Says:
July 3rd, 2015 at 10:10 am

I had to stop reading the comments, as the spelling is atrocious. “Spell-check” people, please!

Matt Says:
July 4th, 2015 at 1:48 am

Who cares…….seriously.

Lauren Says:
July 6th, 2015 at 4:17 am

where can I find a link to that gorgeous emerald (?) and diamond gemstone ring? GORGEOUS!!

B. Earth Says:
July 6th, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Hi Lauren, this one-of-a-kind antique ring has already been purchased, however we add new styles to our collection every week! You can view all of our available antique rings here: Thank you for your interest!

Kayley Says:
July 11th, 2015 at 7:25 am

Honestly both my girlfriend and I hate diamonds, we find them expensive, plain, and boring for the most part. I plan to make her ring myself out of her favorite gemstones.

Melissa Lynch Says:
July 13th, 2015 at 10:46 am

In my opinion, engagement rings are a gaudy, frivolous scam. We got married this weekend and exchanged simple wedding bands (gold for me and cobalt for him) to signify our commitment to each other. I think our entire wedding (rings included) cost about $1000! Simple, laidback and fun … just like us!

Sarah Says:
July 14th, 2015 at 11:50 am

The older and wiser I get, the more my distaste for engagement rings grows. When I was younger, I thoughtlessly accepted that they were just a given. Now I can’t imagine any good reason why a giant expensive ring has anything to do with getting engaged or married, or why only a woman would wear a ring during engagement, or why the man would have to buy one. To each their own, but I’m calling this as I see it: dumb.

Jennifer Says:
July 16th, 2015 at 6:55 pm

What a complete waste of money. Is this ring going to keep you warm at night. I would prefer to experience a beautiful holiday rather than looking down at this mined piece of useless rock on my finger that I would worry about losing or getting damaged. I will take experiences over overpriced pieces of metals any day.

Shannon Says:
July 16th, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I recently got engaged my fiance got me a gorgeous diamond and although I absolutely love it I’m terrified I’m going to lose or damage it in some way!!! Honestly, I would’ve been happy with a simple wedding band. I really like the tattoo thing though I’ve seen a few celebrities with them. Where you each get a ring like tattoo on the ring finger. I’m not into tattoos much either, in fact I dont think id be interested in having one for any other reason but, I really like this idea. Its simple and certainly much cheaper than most any ring you could buy but, still definitely takes and shows commitment from both parties.

cricket Says:
July 17th, 2015 at 8:08 am

That ring is amazing

Ivory Says:
July 17th, 2015 at 10:53 am

Don’t get your hopes up, ladies. These rings are lovely but if you hold high expectations you’ll almost definitely be disappointed. Just being realistic and speaking from experience.

stephanie Says:
July 18th, 2015 at 12:02 pm

brautiful rings

12know Says:
July 18th, 2015 at 3:42 pm

How about a trend of thin engagement rings and thicker wedding bands? After all, the wedding band has far more meaning than an engagement ring. One is for show and the other represents forever.

Denise Says:
July 19th, 2015 at 11:37 am

Denise Says:
July 19th, 2015 at 11:37 am

Your jewelry is amazing. Please send me emails

lance Says:
July 19th, 2015 at 2:07 pm

That’s a beautiful ring!!

ripmeoff Says:
July 20th, 2015 at 10:12 am

Why do people still waster there money on diamonds, that are not rare, and are price controlled by the market. Better off with a ruby or emerald which are rare

B. Earth Says:
July 20th, 2015 at 10:36 am

Hi Denise, you are now fully subscribed to the Brilliant Earth newsletter! Thank you so much for your interest.

Sharen Says:
July 20th, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Excellent and varied comments on the subject of engagement rings. And thank goodness there is as much a variety of ways to celebrate as those celebrating. Thank you for the feedback from Brilliant Earth people.

Jennifer Says:
July 21st, 2015 at 9:24 am

You can’t have “trends” in engagement rings that are supposed to last a lifetime (even though most will be ended within 5 years). What are you supposed to do with a 2015 “trend” ring in 2024 or 2032? What would you think of your 1987 engagement ring right now, in light of these new “trends?”

“Budgets going up” is jeweler crap-speak for “we want you to think it’s cool to spend more money.”

And in what way is the U.S. economy “gaining steam and shaking off the recession?” Where are the jobs? Where are the wages? Why do we need to force a $15 minimum wage at McDonalds down our throats if the economy is so great?

Shari D Says:
July 23rd, 2015 at 10:37 am

What are you supposed to do with your 2015 “trend” ring after 20 years, or 40 years or even longer? Well, the same thing that women who were engaged and married in the 1940’s during WWII did with their rings, which were produced following the design and construction trends of the day, so many years after! They wore them! And most were cherished symbols of their love and commitment that began during those extremely turbulent times, and lasted for decades to follow. That’s kind of a silly question really. You cannot buy now what will become the trends of 40 or 50 years from now, because nobody knows what that is going to be yet! And why would you want to? You can, however, choose to purchase whatever it is that means the most to you now, and similarly cherish it into the years to come. Whether or not it is a “trend” should not make any difference. Availability of designs, materials and the type of rings that satisfy the eye change over time, as they always have. In the 1950’s, heavier, wide wedding bands were more popular than the more narrow and delicate bands they followed, and by which they would be followed a decade later. The trends come and go in cycles, in wedding jewelry, just as in everything else.
Back in the middle 1970’s, when I was engaged and married, in the year following graduation from high school, yellow gold was the “trend,” (but not being a trend follower in many ways, my engagement ring was in white gold, harder to find, and it is a quarter carat, because I am not into materialistic demonstrations) diamonds in general were much smaller, more were still solitaires, the marquis cut was becoming more popular, heart shapes and the round brilliant still ruled the day though, and expectations were also much less grand! Getting a full carat solitaire was just a dream for most, and hardly the reality for many more. A half carat, a third or even a quarter carat were much more in line with reality, because DeBeers had yet to “decree” that spending two (or later on, three) months salary for a ring was the only acceptable way to show the woman you loved just how much you loved her, or to provide something for her to wave around under her friends’ noses. Having an engagement ring at all was more than adequate to announce a betrothal or intention to marry. Many didn’t have that ~ a wedding band of whatever design was desirable at the time was all many women had, and all many wanted really. Plain bands were still most popular, textured designs were becoming more popular and available, but wedding sets with combinations of rings constructed to only fit together, not be worn separately, were in all the jewelers’ cases. Like I said before, expectations were not as rooted in materialism and enormous amounts of “bling” as they have become these days.
The history of engagement and wedding rings speaks a lot to the social history of civilization in general.
Everyone has their own ideas of what things are most meaningful to them, and what objects define the special moments in their lives. Don’t for one moment think, however, that engagement rings and wedding bands are any kind of a new trend, or something that has just come along in the past 100 years or so.
The history and significance of betrothal (engagement) and wedding rings and other symbols is a long and varied one, going back centuries to the ancient Egyptians and the Romans. And no, it’s not always all about “purchasing” women or a bride price. Rings were formerly seen as symbols of power, prestige, significance, and the ability to act for someone else. Wealthy married Roman women had a great deal of autonomy, and were given two rings at marriage ~ an iron one to wear around the house, and a more expensive gold one to wear outside the house and for more formal occasions. Possessing a wedding band also gave the wives the ability to act on their husbands’ behalf in many legal matters.
The history of diamonds in engagement rings goes back far prior to the discovery of diamond mines in South Africa, which didn’t happen until the Kimberly strike in 1868. Most all diamonds used in jewelry came out of India for centuries before that. Golconda diamonds are still known as the most precious, finest quality diamonds ever mined. Those graded IIa (2a) contain absolutely no nitrogen, which is what gives diamonds from other sources their color, and are a full two shades whiter than the usual D color diamonds that are the more common “colorless” diamonds on the market today. Golcondas are primarily owned by royalty, because of their extreme rarity, their cost, and the fact that Indian diamond mines producing these stones were closed hundreds of years ago. The Hope diamond is a Golconda diamond, and is blue because of the presence of boron, not nitrogen, which is what imparts the yellowish color that diamonds in the common market are graded on today.
The first recorded history of a diamond betrothal ring was given between members of royalty in 1477, but it was not what we know as the “traditional” solitaire ring, because that method of diamond cutting and setting had centuries to come before its development. Archduke Maximilian of Austria proposed to Mary of Burgundy with a ring set with thin, flat pieces of diamonds in the shape of an “M.”
Do a little research on the history of these items, and you will learn a great deal about the history of the human beings who came before you!

Edna Says:
July 25th, 2015 at 3:34 am

I am not about trends when it comes to love. I think the lover/couple purchasing the ring should select a ring that speaks to their relationship. My engagement ring is opal w/diamonds. I was very surprised and thrilled of his choice. I absolutely love it. Opal is his favor gemstone and I love diamonds. The setting of the stones have meaning for us too. The ring represents both of us. After eight years, I still receive compliments on this ring . So, forget commercial trends, select a ring with meaning that represents the both of you. Be creative! The ring is for you/your partner, not the Jones!

Catman2 Says:
July 27th, 2015 at 4:11 am

all this wedding talk is making me misty

Ashley E Says:
July 30th, 2015 at 7:29 am

I have my great grandmas engagement ring that my grandma gave to my now fiancé to propose to me with. It means more to me then some ring that he went to the store and bought, though we are custom making my wedding band to fit my ring. The ring has to be probably over 50 years old.

Sharon Says:
August 4th, 2015 at 10:01 pm

My steady boyfriend and I played hookie from high school in 12th grade to drive downtown and buy an engagement ring, after which we drove back to school. I remember the name of the jewelers was Peoples Credit Jewelers and he paid $100 dollars for a very tiny but meaningful solitaire diamond set in white gold and a matching white gold wedding band. We eloped right after graduation and were happily married for 49 1/2 years, when he passed away from a very aggressive form of cancer. Over the years, my wonderful husband gave me many pieces of jewelry and although I appreciated them and happily wore them, none is as close to my heart and cherished as much as the original engagement ring he gave me that day in high school. He has been gone for 4 1/2 years now…I still have my wedding set and the memories of an extraordinary man. Our three daughters and 11 grandchildren miss him every day!

Jill Says:
August 7th, 2015 at 1:49 pm

My diamonds were given to me just before my mother passed away. My daddy had won them in a poker game and gave them to her on their wedding day. When she gave them to me, she instructed me to “wear them; don’t put them in a jewelry box or you’ll lose them”. I first had her setting cut down to fit me, and have had the diamonds reset twice more. She only had them for 23 years before she died; I’ve had them for 45. I still think of them as hers and I love to tell the story of how my daddy obtained them. I’m no longer married, but I still wear the rings on my 3rd finger, left hand. Great memories to carry with me every day.

Michelle Says:
August 8th, 2015 at 5:55 am

Ive had one but im patiently waiting for the next> I don’t believe in marriage but its just nice if someboby wants to buy you a ring.

Wendy Says:
August 11th, 2015 at 7:07 pm

maureen Says:
August 15th, 2015 at 11:12 am

I picked my ring out from Zales and it is a champagne diamond. It is absolutely gorgeous and what I have been waiting for over 38 year’s to get. We never had $ for rings. We had kids and a home and life went on. I never even wore a ring in younger days. So, I treated myself last Christmas. I’m 61 and it was time for diamonds. My Hubby said ooo I would have picked out that exact one for you and I said… Just as long as you pay for it, I’m happy. 🙂 Ladies, do it, don’t wait.

Dianne Says:
August 17th, 2015 at 11:54 am

My one in a trillion hubby just uprgaded the engagement portion of my wedding set, to a gorgeous .80ct colorless and nearly flawless round diamond. He chose perfection over size, which enhances my set beautifully. It was unexpected, and a heartfelt gift for our 25th Anniversary. I never asked or hinted. It was all his idea. I realize how fortunate I am. That’s what true love is ladies. It’s not the ring that matters, but the marriage.
That’s what is so wrong with young people today. They won’t consider marrying without the best of everything they can’t really afford. Their marriages are just as void of substance, and disolve quickly. Life isn’t about all the stuff you can get. Enjoy the meaningful moments, and celebrate your love every day. You wouldn’t give away your kids, I hope. Why are you so quick to throw away your life partners? Perhaps you should have been more selective in the first place, and not so caught up in the the short lived thrill. The De Beers slogan “Diamonds are forever,” was meant to reflect a forever marriage, in addition to boosting sales.
Diamonds or other gems, trends, antiques, heirlooms, or simple tasteful bands don’t really matter. The right gentleman or lady does. Find someone who really respects you, so when all the flash melts away, you still have a solid foundation. Don’t settle or be so needy for someone else to fulfill you. If you are a happy single, don’t wait for someone else to get you what you want. Go get it for yourself, whatever it is. If it’s your taste, jewelry is meant to be worn, and enhances everyone’s beauty. If it’s not, then you already understand and appreciate the small things in life. Good for you.

don Says:
August 19th, 2015 at 2:51 am

Of an average person and salary can’t afford it. So who cares

Dianne Says:
August 19th, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Don is correct. The average person really shouldn’t blow two months salary or more on a ring. That’s a sales tactic, anyway. Survival is definately more important. Money is the reason most couples break up. Debt is not worth the stress and strain on your health or relationship. Quality time with your loved one means so much more. Trying to top someone else or stetching your means for bling, is just stupid. Do what you can in a cheaper alternative. The naked eye cannot distinguish the difference. I have fake earings that I wear every day. They have fooled everyone for years. They are simple 1ct total weight diamonique studs, in 14k gold. I think I spent less than $50 bucks on them 30 years ago. Save your money for more important things. Even an inexpensive gemstone or your spouses birthstone is a nice way to reflect your committment. Be creative and don’t feel bad about what you don’t have. Appreciate and celebrate the great things in life you do have, because they can all disappear in a flash!

Bethany Says:
August 21st, 2015 at 10:00 am

My beautiful ring set was made one of a kind for me by a small artisan we found on Etsy. It’s absolutely stunning, with a solitaire white saphire–and the set was only a couple hundred dollars. The rest of the money we would have spent on a ring was donated to charity. I didn’t marry my husband for the money, nor do I want something more expensive than vehicles I owned in highschool sitting on my finger.

Matthew Fields Says:
August 23rd, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Why were there no engagement rings for men. More and more both gay and straight men are being proposed to. Within my circle of friends guys are wearing their engagement rings on their right hand ring finger. Where are the men’s rings

Samaskoru Says:
August 26th, 2015 at 4:24 am

To be honest, I wouldn’t want a jewel on my engagement ring. Not sure why, it just doesn’t feel my sort of thing. Just a plain golden ring with engraving inside it is my choice although I still understand people, who want those jewels.

Simona M .T. Says:
August 28th, 2015 at 10:25 am

My engagement ring is my dream come true, from my men .The ring represents both of us.

michelle Says:
September 3rd, 2015 at 2:45 am

My husband of 37yrs bought me several pieces of tanzanite jewelry. I fell in love with the beautiful blue color. Last year he surprised me with a quad A 18 carat white gold band. The band has beautiful accent diamonds down the sides very dantiy. The wedding band he got to go with it (the quad A full carat cushion cut with accent diamonds on the sides was hard 4 him 2 find a band that fit the ring) he found a ring guard 18 carat gold with the infinity symbol on both sides with accent diamonds the ring &.band r stunning, just like he is to me we were high school sweethearts married right out of school we “dated” 4 5 yrs b 4 we married so all together we’VE been together 42 yrs with or without the beautiful jewelry he’s bought me over the yrs I love him more everyday. He’s the only person who has.ever taken care of me loves our children & grandchildren completely. He’s always.put our family first just as I have. We were truly blessed to.have found eachother & there isn’t a thing I wouldn’t do 4 him&.I know if I ever need him.he’ll b there in a heart beat. Jewelry is wonderful but only if it’s given from the heart & from the.person u will love more each day. I thank God everyday 4 my soul mate & our 3 children.their spouses &. R 1 beautiful granddaughter, an soon 2.b our grandson.

Kim Says:
September 7th, 2015 at 6:28 pm

I also had my wedding rings made from my Grandmother’s which was given to me as necklace when she passed. Knowing how she felt about love and marriage made my wedding rings even more special. Oddly enough my husband and I were traveling out of the U.S. On vacation and bought just plain white gold bands gold was not expensive then I think the band I still am wearing was $ 30.00. I wear it day to day and put my others on when we go out. It’s light I can clean in it chase after my child and not worry what if I lose
It. I have the man I don’t care about the ring I have my grandma’s best of both

Eliz12 Says:
September 9th, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I could NOT stop laughing at the dookie ring comment left by “Jamie” on 5/20/15 at ~3:30am. That was the funniest thing I’ve read in such a long time :-D. Thank you for that joy in my day!

forhanguise Says:
September 11th, 2015 at 4:39 am

Nothing inspiring. Cookie cutter repetition for way too long. Disappointing.

tony Says:
September 14th, 2015 at 5:19 am

Yes lots of cookie cutters here, but soon to be, many timeless designs as well. Create something simple or typical, but create it … It’s about the journey of how the ring signified your engagement.

Kimberly Says:
September 20th, 2015 at 7:26 pm

My fiance and I went with a lab creates diamond. I have absolutely nothing against real diamonds by no means, but he has 2 children from a previous marriage and I have one child from a previous marriage and it seemed wrong to me for him to spend a ton of money on a ring when we have children,bills, and still a wedding to plan and pay for. I love mine it’s beautiful! It’s much clearer and doesn’t get cloudy like my previous engagement ring from my 1st marriage. I am very satisfied with mine 🙂

Beth Says:
October 6th, 2015 at 10:29 am

So glad to see the return of the one larger centre stone instead of the 8 or 10 small stones making up the large stone. I love a wider shank and had it in my engagement ring, but my set was stolen and have not been able to replace it. It looked a bit like the nature inspired one but solid shank and the wedding band had the leaves on it. Thieves took most of our jewelry, but they cant take the memories, beautiful diamonds and wonderful to see the solitare again

Lacey Says:
October 7th, 2015 at 6:06 am

My husband and I had a good idea of what we wanted as our set. A natural opal set into rose gold. Very precious and fragile, we know, but it has held up like our love, and we are willing to take the risks. I am very careful though. We tried to go through Dunkins Diamonds and have them special make it, but they did not want to work with opals, so they told us to basically pick a different stone or leave, so we left. We found my perfect engagement ring on and ordered it right away. We then found the perfect matching wedding band on (not sure on spelling of that site) and it has three natural opals in the band all rose gold, and our dream. We then ordered his ring off of amazon, and it is rose gold and platinum. Everything is perfect now and we are glad Dunkins did not get our business. They didn’t deserve it.
The reasons behind our opal and rose gold need:
We love opals for a few reasons. One, they are different and precious. They are so original and you can never find two that are the same. The colors within them are gorgeous. The first thing he got me was our promise ring and it was an opal. Fell in love all over again when I received it. Also, some coincidences here… we got married in October, the month for opals, and on our 4 1/2 years. We love that meaning. Rose gold is so beautiful to me. The fact that it is so different and beautiful is a great mix with the opals and originality of us.
Thanks to all for reading! 🙂

Barbara Says:
October 15th, 2015 at 6:02 pm

I opened this ad because of my attraction to beautiful diamond rings…and each one was stunning. It takes training, education and talent to design jewelry. A diamond can bring joy and happiness to the owner. If you can afford it then I think it’s great! Computers, cell phones our clothing and many other products we use every day in our lives are produced by laborers in impoverished 3rd world countries. Try putting a ring in the same category as say…the device your holding now. I don’t own a diamond but I hope someday I will and I will love it!!

Bobby Wright Says:
October 18th, 2015 at 7:51 pm

I bought my wife a beautiful near flawless 1.2 karat diamond. I love my wife dearly, but I think it is one of the worst buys of my life. It has no intrinsic value, it can’t even turn on my TV. It just sits there. A big scam, if you ask me. But I will never tell my wife that. Gentlemen, if you can talk your SO out of a diamond, you are smarter and wiser than most.

Dave Says:
October 20th, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Guys, SAVE YOUR MONEY. The notion of buying engagement rings for a woman is ripe for change. In this day and age, women are nickel-and-diming the world for equality in every way. So, let’s give them equality, but not paying for dates, by going dutch, and by not buying engagement rings. 50% of you will end up divorced anyway, so save your money and put it in your retirement fund.

D. White Says:
October 21st, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I will never be married. Nobody wants me. I will remain forever alone.

L. Shepherd Says:
October 24th, 2015 at 6:09 pm

TOO MANY ignorant men above to comment on each one. If you can afford a wedding band, and that is acceptable to both, there ya go. Upgrade later in life if you want. I have always been a diamond person. I learned from grading to raw cutting to selling and most satisfying, helping others NOT make giant mistakes. No, I am not in the business but I did sell for a while. I was curious and loved the sparkle. We do not have the money at present to purchase the diamond I want and he refuses to wear any ring. WAY beyond the love of getting any diamond, it is not the size as much as the color, cut (and shape) of the stone.Clarity can be disguised sometimes. Remember,points DO break and yes, they crack. (however marquise look a lot larger) We have been engaged 15 years!! I have had my ring for 6. It is a total of 5 carats, with center 3ct and 2 rare cognacs on each side, all in halo diamonds. I absolutely love it. As time as gone on, I am in search for a new center with different (more brilliant) cut (radiant) and stepping up color and size by .25 or so. Diamonds are a rare history to me. My stone is set low and is NOT gaudy by any means. He had incredible taste in the setting. I guess what I am trying to say is do NOT buy what you cannot afford as you will never be able to get half of the price back unless rare and do not waste money designing a ring with past diamonds. Put it in a solitare for a necklace. DO NOT FORGET pawn shops!!! Drop the stone into a new setting. You cannot go wrong with both colors of gold in same setting. Round diamonds have the most and are always in style. Also, you can purchase a much larger diamond, if there is a fissure or natural crack filled with glass. Such as all of two famous stores but they have to declare if asked. Never ever buy from a Mall Store (all but possibly 2 are owned by the same company and yes that includes J) Find a reputable jeweler, ask for references, STUDY WHAT YOU WANT… TAKE THE TIME TO REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING!!! If the girl has to have a 20ct, show her what house you both could own on the beach first. A woman looks at her engagement ring 100X a day and it is a dream no matter what if there is the love. Also, you can always purchase another anniversary ring as a right hand ring later in life…… The ring is very important to ME, but I waited a very long time to get it and will pay for the upgrade if that ever is possible. It is expensive and a cabin in the woods sounds kind of cozy.

Kimmie Says:
November 3rd, 2015 at 10:29 am

I’m glad to see that halo styles are on this list!! My engagement ring has a double halo and I absolutely love it!

Beverly Says:
November 5th, 2015 at 4:06 pm

When my husband wanted to get engaged, we decided on a Trlliant Cut Diamond (Triangular). A friend of ours who was a jeweller and did 95% of her designs using the wax casting method, designed a ring with the diamond as the center stone and our birthstones on either side. I felt I wanted a ring that reflected US and not just a plain diamond. Sad to say, a few years after my husband passed away from a massive coronary, while I was in the hospital someone broke into my home and stole my engagement and wedding band, my Dad’s 18kt Gold Watch, his two rings and many other jewellry pieces of mine. Of course I could not prove it, but I really feel it was stolen by someone who knew us and knew I was hospitalized as we had a vault in the house that was broken into. It had to have taken them many hours if not days to break into the safe, but if someone wants something bad enough——NOTHING will keep them from getting in. There is an old saying “What goes around, comes around” and I can only hope thy have as much heartache and then some as I had when I discovered all was gone.

Lesley O’Neil Says:
November 9th, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Nothing new about this ‘trend’; when my late husband and I went to get my engagement ring in 1972, I chose a large aquamarine (his birthstone) surrounded by diamonds. I wear it still, on my left ring finger, as it is a beautiful ring. I was earlier married in 1965 (later divorced) and that engagement ring was custom made with six small diamonds set around a lovely dark sapphire we found at a reputable pawn shop. It was made into a pinkie dinner ring when I remarried.

Never did like just a diamond!

Lesley O’Neil Says:
November 9th, 2015 at 7:07 pm

To Shannon and others: have your ring appraised and add it to a personal articles rider on your home insurance. It can readily be replaced, just keep the value up over the years. Doesn’t cost much. My husband had a big gold ring with a good sized solitaire diamond inset that had been his father’s. One day on the golf course, he lost it. We had photos of it and the insurance covered the cost of having e ring duplicated. When my husband died, I passed the new ring on to his youngest nephew, along with the story of the original disappearing. Further story for the family history!

Franc Says:
November 11th, 2015 at 12:44 pm

My engagement ring was an emerald cut amethyst in yellow gold – a ring given to my husband by his parents when he was 12. I understand the strength and longevity thing of the diamond but still chose opal for my wedding ring. If I’m going to spend the rest of my life with it on my finger, it had better be more interesting than a clear rock that sparkles.

chris Says:
November 12th, 2015 at 12:03 am

Ooooh, that claw setting is BEAUTIFUL!! I like more simple, modern designs, with anything really, & I liked how sleek yet interesting that looks. But, though I like simple, I like big diamonds, lol!

Maureen Says:
November 17th, 2015 at 8:16 pm

My husband proposed almost 9 months before we found the ring I loved. He knew if I had to wear it I had to love it.

It’s a simple gold band with a marquise diamond and prong hooks.

It will probably never go out of style and almost 20 years into our marriage I’m glad I saved money, got the exact ring of my dreams and was included, and in charge of the selection process.

It does make me a bit sad that I’m unsure of the origin of the diamond. Blood diamonds were not at the forefront of our minds back in the 90s.

Cheryl Says:
December 4th, 2015 at 6:45 am

I have larger than average hand. So a 9 x 6 mm marquis cut deep blue sapphire on a gallery setting flanked by single diamond baguettes and three channeled squares on each side is my engagement ring. We paired it with a band of alternating rounds of sapphire and diamonds in a pinpoint setting. I swoon all over again ever time I pause enough in my day to look at it.

Leslie Rejminiak Says:
December 14th, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Give me a good trip any day. Rings are a waste of money

Nikki Says:
December 22nd, 2015 at 6:29 am

I don’t like diamonds. They are very plain to me. My husband got me a blue star sapphire with a 1/8 carat diamond on each side for our engagement. Then just a plain band for my wedding ring. Both are white gold, which really makes the sapphire stand out.

gabriella Says:
January 16th, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Congrats on your new blog design! It looks great. And I love rose gold – everything about it! I’ve been in love with your rose gold luna ring since I spotted it.

gabi |

Eddy Says:
January 31st, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I rather go to the store and know what I’m buying. This allows me to examine the diamond to make sure it’sgreat quality.

Connie Tailleur Says:
January 31st, 2016 at 8:38 pm

These rings are absolutely beautiful I would be happy to wear any of them

Lissa Says:
February 3rd, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Wow, the Lissome ring at the top is almost identical to my engagement ring, and my band is simple but matches the pave settings in the Lissome ring. I’ve only been married a few years but picked this ring with my spouse because I thought all of the “trendy” rings with huge center diamonds and pave around the main stone were gaudy. I was happy to go with something less trendy, so it’s pretty funny to see it listed here as a “current trend.”

miz styletipster Says:
February 23rd, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I am not a fan of the halo trend at all. I feel like the tiny diamonds around the main rock are there to distract you from the size & quality. But I understand if you are a couple on a budget and you want something with major bling- go for it.

Katie Says:
February 26th, 2016 at 9:29 pm

More than the desire to show individuality for the non-traditional, colored gemstones, or vintage designs is the desire to break away from the unnecessary cost inflation of diamonds. We are growing more aware of the diamond monopoly and the De Beers advertising strategy that made diamonds the go-to rock for engagements.

Elbert Smith Says:
April 27th, 2016 at 3:54 pm

looking for engagement ring

Kakadiya Group Says:
August 12th, 2016 at 3:20 am

Well, Here are sharing stunning designed engagement rings with different shapes and colors. this blog is very helpfull me for purchasing such a nice engagement ring

Emili Says: